Hello! Welcome to my new baking series ‘Baking with Blossom’ (my name isn’t blossom, but the alliteration is so satisfying!) Every month or so, I will write a post with step by step instructions on something I have baked. For the first one I made rock cakes. Enjoy…
You will need:
16oz. self raising flour
½ level tsp. salt
½ level tsp. cinnamon
6oz. vanilla sugar (aka 3oz of caster sugar + a few drops of vanilla essence!)
3oz. candied peel (optional)
2 beaten eggs
4 tbsps. milk
Makes 16-20 medium rock cakes
1. Sieve flour, salt and cinnamon into a large bowl.
2. Measure out sugar and fruit and transfer to small bowls. This isn’t necessary, but I do it so that I don’t have to clean out the measuring bowl after the butter to use it again.
3. Rub in margarine until you achieve a fine breadcrumb texture
4. Add sugar and fruit and mix it with a wooden spoon.
6. Mix to a stiff and sticky consistency
7. Grease 2 baking trays. Place mixture on trays using 2 forks dipped in milk
8. Dredge with caster sugar (I don’t do this, because I find it too sweet, but if you want to you can)
9. Bake at Gas Mark 7 (220°C/180°fan/425°F) for about 12-15 minutes. If you put one tray in on top and one below, swap the trays after 6-8 minutes for an even batch.
10. Leave to cool on tray for 2 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack.
Thanks for reading. If you make this recipe, be sure to Instagram a picture, and tag me (CherryB15blog) and use #BakingWithBlossom. I’d love to see them! If you have any suggestions as the what I should bake next in this series, then leave a comment below…
xx 🙂 xx